Monday Motivation! {free pattern link in post} | Go-Go Kim

sewing + social media + so much more

Monday, February 8, 2016

Monday Motivation! {free pattern link in post}

Welcome back to  Monday Motivation!  Four years ago Sara organized a New York Beauty Sew Along and it was pretty amazing.  Using free New York Beauty patterns and a hop to different blogs to learn about the different ways to paper piece these stunning blocks.  Jump ahead four years and I still have orphan blocks that need some love and a stash that I need to sew through... Meet Violet! 




The original free pattern is Myrtle the Purl Turtle from Purl Soho.  It was another one of those, "I must make this someday" projects that hang out in Pinterest Purgatory just waiting to be hopefully made someday.



This pattern is a free pdf with excellent support tutorial with beautiful photos on the Purl Soho website.  It takes only a few choirs from cut to stuff if you are using fabrics and not a NYB block.  If you make the NYB, it can add a few more hours. The NYB is Joel Dewberry fabric, the dark purple is flannel from my stash and the sweet polka dot belly is Tula Pink :o)  I constructed the block and Violet with Aurifil 50wt thread.  I used a light neutral and wish I would have gone with either the 2600 ( Dove) or a full purple.  Next time I will know better and match my thread to my fabric.




Thank you for stopping by and if you are looking for more fun and inspiration you can find me on


SHARE:

8 comments

Paula said...

What a wonderful use for an orphan block. She's a real beauty!

Becca said...

This is SO cute! I love the colors. I might have to make one for my own littles. Thanks for sharing!

Aunt Mimi said...

I love this idea! What a great use for orphan blocks. Thanks for sharing.

margaret said...

loving the turtle so admire paper piecing blocks one day I will be able to do the technique I hope

Ann said...

Adorable! You did a really lovely job on this - and softies ain't easy!

Karen @runsewfun said...

Such a cute use of an orphan block. I need to keep this in mind.

Kat said...

Soooo cute! Great way to use an orphan block.

Sirkku said...

Great idea to use leftover blocks. Thanks for sharing

Blogger Template by pipdig