Little Helping Hands mean so much! | Go-Go Kim

sewing + social media + so much more

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Little Helping Hands mean so much!

Right before Spring Break, I was in my usual rush of trying to get everything done or at least 25% of it. I was dropping my youngest off at school and he forgot his backpack at home but had his binder.  He did not wish to carry it, as usual,  and that is what I am for anyway... right?   A piece of paper kept being blown by the breeze and finally I opened up his binder to see what it was and my eyes went directly  to two words... BREAST CANCER!  My mouth dropped open and I had to stop to read what this paper actually said.  My little guy's teacher was diagnosed with breast cancer!  She was going to try to finish out the year but it was just not possible.  I could not imagine having to deal with breast cancer or any cancer for that matter. My father-in-law passed away from small cell lung cancer almost eleven years ago.  Over the years we have had too many people we know diagnosed with cancer.  CANCER SUCKS!



Back to my guy's teacher, I knew I had to do something.  She is practically those children's second mom.  She has them every single day for six and a half hours and not only teaches them but loves them.  Kindergarten teachers are special that way.  I wanted to do something that would let her feeled loved by her kids and a way for the kids to feel like they are helping her somehow.  I started playing with ideas and before I even came up with a concrete idea my dear friend Laurie Tigner volunteered to quilt it!  I am so amazed at the love I get from my quilty friends!

I had the idea that I would have blocks that had the outline of the children's hands but it was not really quite right...have I mentioned how much I LOVE instagram and facebook?  I made a couple of horrible samples, posted and then had great responses to help guide me...

I talked to the most AWESOME lady in the front office at the school, a cute sassy gal that always has a smile and something nice to say.  She was a huge help in organizing my effort  to make this quilt a reality!

We needed to wait until after Spring Break to get it organized so in that time, I chose the fabric and had to come up with an idea of what I was going to do with the blocks when I had them.  It had to be something colorful, not over the top childlike ( that is just not her) and something special, just like her!

I came up with what I think is the perfect quilt and was able to get it together in a very short time ( for me).

On April 8th I decided to use a Riley Blake Polka Dot Stitches by Lori Holt jelly roll my mom had sent to me for Christmas. Thanks Mom!


On April 9th is when I actually came up with the idea for the quilt and made a sample Irish Chain to see if it would work! And it DID!


Then I was hoping that my LQS had a Moda Bella Jelly Roll in white.  Sadly they did not but I remembered that I have an Accuquilt Go at home and that I had just purchased 4 yds of white from Bloomerie in the last solids sale!

By that afternoon I was ready to go!




By the end of The Voice Monday night I had sets started!


April 10th I started the morning out with a cup of coffee and some sewing



I met up with this cute guy and brought him lunch


Then I was helped out at the school by the lovely Ms.F getting all the kids hands traced. No absences that day which worked out perfectly.  The kids asked if we were making turkeys,LOL!  I cannot wait to show them the finished quilt.

by yesterday evening I had it all up on the board

and today...I FINISHED the quilt top!!!! I am so happy everything fell into place and so I will be able to have this in the mail to Laurie TOMORROW!

Look at all those sweet hands!!!!



Shared on 
SHARE:

21 comments

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

You are a very thoughtful parent! I wish I had had a parent like you when I went through cancer. Luckily I had a student teacher who could finish out the year and who gave me a sweet gift he made with my students. I returned the next year doing chemo for half the year. My kids were awesome! Im eight years out this month from diagnosis. I will add your teacher to my prayer list.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

very very cute...and fresh

Sara said...

Fabulous idea to help your son's teacher while she is struggling with this horribly ugly disease. You are a blessing!! What I would give to see her face when she gets it!!!!

Jessica said...

This is just beautiful. Any teacher would be lucky to have such a fantastic gifts from a parents and her students!

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

You are good people, Kim!! Wrap that teacher in love. xx

Michele said...

This is so wonderful Kim and I'm sure she will treasure it. I got the wild idea last year to make end of year thank you quilts for my son's teachers and they were beyond thrilled with them. I'm doing the same this year. my kids' teachers will always know just how precious I know they are.

Unknown said...

Beautiful - for all the reasons in the book...

Canadian Abroad said...

You are correct. Cancer does suck. Such a thoughtful and beautiful gift will help so much in a difficult time for the teacher. I wish all those fighting this dreadful dicease had such lovely support and caring friends.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

You are one in a million missus xxx

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

So very kind and thoughtful of you! She sounds like a very special person. The quilt is adorable and what a treasure for her!

Gramma Quilter said...

So great and special. The quilt is perfect. Those precious hands is right!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Love what you did for this teacher!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt AT yahoo DOT com

Elsa said...

Sorry to hear about your son's teacher ~ what a lovely thing you're doing for her. She will cherish this quilt!

Kathy said...

beautiful and a beautiful way to support the teacher

Anna said...

That is such a wonderful thing to do for your kids' teacher. And it turned out so beautiful! I hope it comforts her during her struggle :)

JuliePickles said...

This is so precious Kim, she's really going to cherish this!

Katy Cameron said...

Aww, nothing you make will ever be a turkey... ;o)

It looks fabulous, so glad you were able to make this for her!

Whitney said...

such a cute idea. . how thoughtful!! she will love it!

SuperMomNoCape said...

What a sweet, thoughtful thing to do for your child's teacher. I'm sure that she is going to be so very touched and will treasure the quilt.

Kelly Casanova said...

A beautiful quilt and an equally beautiful idea :)

ktquilts said...

Praying that God holds this teacher in comfort and peace in the palm of His hand. Blessings to you for being so loving.

Blogger Template by pipdig