According to my daughter I am officially OLD | Go-Go Kim

sewing + social media + so much more

Monday, February 6, 2012

According to my daughter I am officially OLD

Katy has deemed it so...I am OLD. She came to this realization when I could not resist these beautiful stamps.




There are not one or two but literally thousands. There are books and guides included too. I had wanted to collect stamps since I was a child but according to Katy only old people collect stamps AND quilt. I see them as tiny pieces of cultural art and well, whatever! I love them!!!!!


I did finish this block for the Solstice Stars Series on Fresh Lemons Quilts. They are really beautiful!!!!


When doing this block I realized I have no imagination so I tried some different things to help me visualize where the next piece would end up after it is sewn. This is what I did. Not sure if it is right but it really worked for me.


I roughly pre-folded the piece I was working on

Folded over and trimmed to 1/4 in seam

Placed the second fabric where I could see that after I sewed it would be covered all the way down to the edge.

Then pinned and sewed

Then folded the sewn side and trimmed again with ruler to 1/4 in

Repeat on other side


All the points will be covered.


I found it helps with working with smaller paper piecing projects too :o)
SHARE:

8 comments

Jeff said...

Stamps are for old MEN, Quilting is for old Women.. If you combine them they cancel out you are young and uh.. of neither sex.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I collect stamps and quilt. Been collecting stamps my whole life, and been quilting since the mid 20's. I also work at the Post Office which made the collection on anything stamp related high on the list too.

Kelly said...

I love your star block. Absolutely gorgeous xxx

Katie said...

I love stamps, some of them are beautiful! But then I guess I'm old.......

Katy Cameron said...

Heh, my mum and dad always told me I'd be old myself one day, that usually shut me up!

Aunt Spicy said...

I have not got up the courage to try paper piecing...but that last little square of yours might be enough to get me to try!

Ady said...

Stamps are lovely IMHO. There is a chap here in the UK who makes awesome pictures using old stamps (see www thepostpopartman dot co dot uk) I have never tried paper piecing. I love that star block. Gorgeous.

Mattinaz said...

Stamps are for old MEN, Quilting is for old Women.. If you combine them they cancel out you are young and uh.. of neither sex.

Blogger Template by pipdig